Malaysian Gado Gado Salad
For the Peanut Satay Dressing
- 60g Karimix Peanut Relish
- 20g Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 6g Sesame Oil
- 40g Rice Vinegar
- 40g Plum Sauce (or sweet chilli sauce or just sugar)
- 5g Minced Garlic
- 10g Minced Ginger
- 10g Cold Water
For the salad
- 180g French Beans, blanched in boiling water until tender
- 500g New Potatoes, boiled and cut into chunks
- 2 Carrots, peeled and thinly sliced into strips
- 120g Bean Sprouts
- ½ Cucumber, deseeded and sliced
- 2 Fresh Eggs
- Shrimp Crackers, shallow fried in hot oil (optional)
- Small Bunch of Fresh Coriander, finely chopped
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Trim the top of the beans and drop them into the boiling water. Cook for around 2-3 minutes, you want the beans to be just tender and still a little crunchy. It's important not to overcook them so keep a close eye on them and take one or two out to test them. Once they're ready, remove with a slotted spoon and cool them down as quickly as possible under cold running water.
2. In the same saucepan of boiling water, cook the potatoes. I've used new potatoes which I've cooked whole, leaving the skin on. Once cooled, new potatoes will need chopping in half or in quarters, depending in their size.
3. Peel the carrots and slice them into thin strips.
4. Boil the eggs for around 6 minutes if you like the yolk to be still a little runny, longer if you prefer them to be set hard,
5. To make the satay sauce, weigh out all the ingredients and mix together.
6. To assemble the salad, mix all the salad ingredients together with the chopped coriander, dress with the satay sauce and gently mix again. Serve with the boiled eggs and shrimp crackers.